Thursday, October 31, 2013

Vivitar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack (Black)

Vivitar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling BackpackThe technical details of this specify it will fit a 17" Laptop. Definitely not true, as that would be the DKS-25 ( ) . However the bag itself is great. Luckily, used it to fit my smaller work laptop, which fits perfectly (14.6").

The compartments themselves are well padded, and the accessibility to the sides as well as front zippers is awesome! Being able to change from a shoulder-slung to a cross-slung to a backpack is also great :) The top compartment holds a surprising amount of stuff as well.

Total stuff in the bag currently:

Canon T3i + 18-55 kit lens + Hood

Canon 55-250mm Lens + Hood

Canon 50mm 1.8 Lens + Hood

Macro Extenders

Ring Light + battery pack + DC adapter (cheap macro stuff)

Polarizing filter/UV filter

2 Portable HDDs

AA Battery Charger

Phone Charger Cables + Wall adapters

Laptop Charger cables

14.6" IBM Laptop

So, it does fit a significant amount of stuff. Couldn't be happier with the purchase!

Yes, everything fits and well protected in this bag. It is very similar to the Tamrac Evolution 8 or 9 but only 1/3 or 1/4 of the price respectively. I think the side access is very important....unless you want to take the backpack off and lie it down on the street for the next burglar. The rain cover also comes handy and important unless you only stay at home.....in that case you don't need a backpack. You can buy the big brand but I am telling you that I made a side by side comparison and there is very little difference......the zippers are actually better on this product. I am selling my Tamrac Expedition and staying with this one instead of the Tamrac Evolution. Forgot to mention also that the tripod leg pocket at the bottom is also bigger and stronger than the Tamrac and you can conceal it in case you don't carry a Tripod. The laptop pocket is well padded and big enough for any 14 inch screen. The handle on the top feels stronger than the Tamrac Evolution IMHO.

Buy Vivitar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack (Black) Now

When I received the bag I was actually surprised at its size.. It is a fairly medium to large sized pack(almost school book bag sized..not as wide)..I'm 5'11" and it's not huge, but not too small and female looking(on a man).

The reviews discussing the interior materials and Velcro quality are VERY true as far as plan your positioning and use your fingers to separate the velcro( so to relieve the pressure of tearing)... Mine did tear a bit and the nylon is tough to repair.. But it is what it is... I sewed it up as best I could, put it where it's gonna stay, you aren't gonna see it! and on with life! Exterior quality seems to be fine.. I know other reviews mention zipper issues.. I have not had any as of yet! Used a few times in and out-doors(cold weather). Will keep you posted as to in the future.

As for capacity... It will hold some gear! If you have 8 lenses and diffuser screens and multiple slave flashes a camcorder, 6 p.&s cameras, etc.. NOT what your lookin for!! I have my T3i w/ 18-55mm attached, 75-300mm( can also fit mounted), filters, batteries, chargers, various cords, hoods...and have room for a point & shoot and my handycam in the bottom...top enough space for a lunch or rain poncho and some trinkets( your not going out for a 3 day camp with just this!!). For a day at the park, or at a venue ..Perfect..maybe a tad bulky but..all-in-all..

CONCLUSION: For $50...it gives you the size, ability, and style of the KATA, Tamrac,etc at a 1/3 of the cost.. If your a professional(getting paid for your shots, and traveling 340 days for it)..you don't need or wouldn't be looking at this bag!!.. If your going a vacations, and taking the family to the theme park or day hikes/bikes then, this is a GOOD BUY!!! Yes you may have to fix an issue or two, you will probably customize it, and you will be able to determine if it is comfortable as a sling or not..for me.. Long hours of wear(backpack mode), an hour or two(sling is fine) yes, the padding is a bit funky for sling but I found that I can adjust it so it doesn't rub my neck..look as I said.. It's a backpack with options..which is why we are all looking at it!! And like me this is the 100th review you have read and have narrowed down your 2 or 3 choices and makers... I chose this one and I am satisfied completely with cost and above cost quality..should last for a while and do what I need it to! Hope this helps all those like me who obsess over research, products and manufacturers, etc...before buying.. But then again "to each his own.."

Read Best Reviews of Vivitar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack (Black) Here

I've only taken it out once so far, but it is very comfortable in the backpack mode (I don't think I'll ever use it in the sling mode, as it seemed a little awkward when I tried it), and has lots of room for my Nikon D5100, two lenses, tripod, plus lots of room for extras, filters, and other small equipment. Another reviewer mentioned that the pack sits too low on the back, even when straps are pulled tight, but I got around this by removing the pads at the bottoms of the straps, which weren't doing anything anyway, and then was able to cinch the straps tighter and get it where I wanted on my back. I am planning on travelling with this pack and I think it will do the job for me. Even if it only lasts one year, for the price you can't go wrong.

Want Vivitar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack (Black) Discount?

Gonna have to say some not-so-great things about this one.

Cons:

-Pretty cheap interior material. I feel like I'm fighting to not rip it when I organize the dividers. The zippers feel cheap as wel as well. I'm worried they might break in the near future.

-Never seen this in a backpack, but the straps don't go as high as I want...I pull it up to the maximum height on my back, and it's not high enough for me (I'm 6' 2").

-There's an obnoxious 24 inches (at least) of extra strap hanging when I pull it up to the maximum height (fixable). Again, not something I've ever had a problem with in a backpack...

-There's absolutely no soft area to put more fragile things like filters.

-The laptop area has ZERO padding.

Pros:

-Chest and waist strap

-Comes with a rain protector

-Place to put a tripod

-Can be used as a sling (haven't done it but I suppose it could be useful)

Overall, it's an average camera backpack. My biggest qualm is the cheap interior/no padding. I'm going to try to make it work, but maybe go with something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment